Saturday, September 21, 2013

Syria hands in information on chemical weapons

The BBC introduced an article today that stated that the international chemical weapons watchdog has received an "expected" account of the chemical weapons.  This announcement was introduced before the deadline set in the Russia-US deal.  Syria is believed to have 1,000 tonnes of chemical toxins and these weapons are supposed to all be dismantled by the middle of next year.  The UN confirmed that the chemical sarin had been used in an attack on Damascus.  The report did not say who was to blame for the attack; however, it has been assumed that the Syrian government is behind it.  Of course the Syrian President Assad has blamed the rebel groups for this retaliation and even though Russia believes that the rebels did provoke the Syrian government, there has been 100,000 deaths since the uprising against president Assad.  Whether this deal we have made with Syria and handing over their chemical weapons will work we will have to wait and see.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with what you said. I also like that through all of the Mass Media and Politics Blog, your post simply provided the facts. The biggest underlying theme I've seen, and maybe even adopted for my blog is how biased all of these agencies actually are. It'd be nice to see more unbiased news presentations actually given. Personally, some of the unbiased facts have made me nervous (yes I did just step into personal beliefs). Assad told CNN's Charlie Rose in an interview he didn't commit the attack because he doesn't have these weapons. All of a sudden Russia says they'll take them, and he coughs them up like a Nazi in 1950 with a random Swiss Bank account number. Just makes me nervous. I wonder what is being left out here!

    ReplyDelete